Thursday, March 19, 2009

SNAPPED

Everything and every circumstance today seem to end up turning into a reality show. One day while flipping through the channels I saw a show called “Snapped” which I discovered was about real life stories of people that have “snapped” mentally, I suppose. This show was somewhat gruesome and I couldn’t believe that people were now capitalizing on the mental breakdowns of others. Gosh…the things we let entertain us. Speaking of entertainment I must admit that I am so sick and tired of the Chris Brown/Rihanna drama. It started out with everyone talking about how Chris Brown snapped on Rihanna and left her beaten, bloodied, and alone on the side of the road. Afterwards, when it became apparent that she’d forgiven him television shows from Entertainment Tonight and TMZ to radio shows and domestic violence blogs continued to insist that we focus on two kids in the entertainment business rather than addressing that something is causing people all over the world to “snap.” The Brown/Rihanna situation reminds me of the Michael Vick crisis – though his actions were wrong we forgot that there are far more important issues happening in American today; such as people living on the streets, parents struggling to feed their family and let’s not forget that people are killing people every day. Society has forgotten what’s more important; they would rather we step over our hungry children and our homeless men and women and fight to the death to defend a dog. Domestic violence…a very serious situation but it didn’t start with Chris Brown and Rihanna. It started many years ago… Domestic violence – violence against a human – where are the people and the picket signs?

Back to the story – like I said people are snapping every day. The young father that killed his wife and three children because both he and his wife had been laid off. The man that jumped from an over-pass onto one of the busiest highways in Atlanta. People that have lost everything trusting others with their life savings. Yes, every day, somewhere, somebody is struggling with something that will make them snap. Unfortunately circumstances can and will cause you to snap unexpectedly. I remember writing an article a few years ago that talked about the mind; it was titled “It Could Have Been Me.” The revelation from that was that no one knows what was going on in someone else’s mind – we can read body language, sometimes eyes, sometimes emotions but no one can read the mind unless you open that door. Snapping – it happens to all of us. When I go to my children’s school and discover that they are not making an effort even though I work hard to give them ALL that they need and MOST of what they want I find myself snapping. When I always seem to be giving and giving more of myself while others are taking and taking I find myself snapping. When my job expects me to move mountains, walk on water and part the Red Sea all in the same hour I find myself snapping. Yes, the actions of one thing can cause a reaction in another. The mind is fragile and yet it controls everything. Snapping – everyone snaps in some form or fashion. Do you find yourself mentally drained and the least little thing sets you off? If so, then you’re about to snap. Have you found yourself with your head in your hands crying your eyes out wondering how you’re going to make ends meet? You’re about to snap. If you can’t stop crying and you don’t know why. You’re about to snap.
Last week I had the pleasure of meeting a group of people from different walks of life – everyone had a story; no two were the same. Though I couldn’t relate to a lot of their stories, God put me in their path for a very good reason; I learned more about myself and what I need to do to better myself. The last two nights of this session God placed me in the path of a young lady with a lot on her mind. As I write this I recall that when I first saw her I looked at her and turned away. A second later I turned back and apologized for not speaking to her. I said, “I’m sorry, I looked you right in your face and didn’t speak, my mother would be so ashamed.” She smiled and we found ourselves sitting next to each other. She had a quiet spirit, unlike me, and I think I helped her to open up. That night while she was waiting for her ride I asked her where they were coming from, to gauge how long she would have to wait; I was thinking that maybe I needed to sit and wait with her. I didn’t expect that her ride would be coming from where I was going, but God…I took her home this night and the next night I offered to take her home because I was going that way to the store. During the drive home I could tell that she was bothered by something and she shared some of her story. She told me that she can’t talk to a lot of people about her business but that something in me made her open up. As we continued to drive she received a phone call and when she hung up she tried to share some of it with me. She couldn’t believe what was happening to her and two or three times she paused and said, “Jesus,” in a soft voice. It gave me the feeling that in her heart she was thinking I can’t win for losing. She rested her head in her hand and I continued to drive. I didn’t pry but quietly prayed asking God to relieve her of the weight on her shoulders because at that moment I knew that my sister was snapping. “Be kinder than necessary – everyone we meet is moving through some kind of issue that is invisible to the rest of us.” -unknown

~Stay Prayed Up!
CLICK ON THE LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment