Wednesday, January 20, 2010

WHAT'S IN YOUR EAR?

Recently I posted a Thought for Today to my Facebook family. It simply said this, “What would you say to a person that told you Jesus can’t save you and life start when the church ends?” I then asked them if they would give this person their money; I’m sure that most of them said “No,” however they probably unknowingly did if they purchased or downloaded Jay Z’s song, Empire State of Mind.

I must admit that I, too, thought that the song was cute; I mean it even briefly had me wishing that I were from New York because it has become their unofficial anthem. In reality though I have to admit that I’ve never listened to Jay Z’s part of the song because I’m not a fan of his music; usually for me his lyrics doesn’t make sense. But I must admit that until today I was highly impressed with him as a business man…hmm...however one of my favorite movies comes to mind as I write this, “The Devil’s Advocate.” I won’t go into the true message of this movie but I’ll leave you with a slice, “You sharpen the human appetite to the point where it can split atoms with its desire; you build egos the size of cathedrals; fiber-optically connect the world to every eager impulse; grease even the dullest dreams with these dollar-green, gold-plated fantasies, until every human becomes an aspiring emperor, becomes his own God... and where can you go from there?” Suffice it to say it’s speaks to how we are as a people. Ironically this movie was also centered around New York as well.

“Would you give this person your money?” I followed that by saying, “You did if you bought or downloaded this song.” Jay Z’s latest CD sold over a million copies in a week; further lining his pockets. “Jesus can’t save you…” It pains me to think that our children and some adults are being fed from the devil’s hand and we don’t know it or realize it. It pains me that the utensil being used to feed us is something simple as two buds attached to an Ipod or MP3 player and we don’t realize it. Long ago I told someone that this new craze was really the devil’s handiwork because it feeds your spirit. I compared it to an experience that I had with my alarm clock – Short version…back when the song was popular I found myself always singing R. Kelly’s song about Mr. Big. It puzzled me why this song wouldn’t get out of my head. “Low down dirty woman, back to where you come from…” It was weeks before I realized that this song came on the radio at the same time every morning which just happened to be my wake up time; it was the first thing that fed my spirit. “What’s in your ear?” It’s true that what goes in your ears rests in your spirit. I proved that by whispering “Mommy” into Breyona’s ear as a baby; guess what her first words were? “What’s in your ear?” Have you ever left church on a spiritual high singing a song from the service only to go into a store playing secular music? Now I know I’m not the only one that has gone from singing Praise is what I do to It’s a thin line between love and hate without realizing it…Yes the devil is crafty… So let me ask you this ~ Jay Z says, “Jesus can’t save you” and God’s Word says, “If you confess with your mouth and believe in your heart you shall be saved.” Now who will you believe?

“He who knows not & knows that he knows not is a fool; shun him. He who knows not & knows not that he knows not is a child; teach him. He who knows & knows not that he knows is asleep; wake him. He who knows & knows that he knows is wise; follow him.” ~Proverbs TGBTG

~Stay Prayed Up!! CLICK ON THE LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment